Re: yum and crash recovery

Michel Salim wrote:
> Hmm .. the thing is, some RPMs have already been installed (e.g. if
> foo-x.y is updated to foo-y.z, the system has both installed). If I
> roll back the rpmdb, it will actually be inconsistent with what's on
> the disk, right?

Yes, however it won't matter after the upgrade. See below.
> What I want is a way for yum to say "oh, I detect an incomplete
> transaction -- let me just continue it and make sure the old RPMs get
> properly removed"

If what you want is the NEW packages, re-running yum with the old rpm
database will make it redo whatever operation it was doing. On an
upgrade, this means yum will detect (from the old rpm database) that you
have an old version, and installs a new version. The inconsistency (as
in rpm says prog1-1.1 when the binary is actually from prog1-1.2) won't
matter, because yum (well, rpm, actually) will overwrite whatever is in
there (or in the case of %config, save/rename them), so you end up with
consistent, new version.
IMHO, this is the fastest way to fix your system if you have a backup of
/var/lib/rpm (or just the Packages file).

On redhat-based system, this is a little difficult. It does not create a
backup of Packages file by default. However, it creates /var/log/rpmpkgs
daily. If you have ALL installed rpm packages available on yum
repositories, what I'd do on these systems is :

- do "rpm -qa --qf '%{name} ' > /tmp/packages.txt; mv /var/lib/rpm
/var/lib/rpm.old;yum install `cat /tmp/packages.txt` " to effectively
reinstalls and upgrade everything to the newest version, OR
- do "mv /var/lib/rpm /var/lib/rpm.old;yum install `cat
/var/log/rpmpkgs`" to reinstall everything to the way it was before the
failed upgrade

It might take some time, but it should work. YMMV.
Seth's reply might also work (haven't tested it personally), and it
should be faster to use his method if you don't have a backup of
Packages file.

Regards,

Fajar