Re: Problem with corrupt comps.xml file

All,

This problem was solved (in a separate thread), for
which I'm very grateful. However, there are still some
outstanding issues / questions I have, primarily
because I'm keen to ensure there is a long-term fix,
rather than a short-term workaround. Therefore, I'd be
very appreciative if someone can answer some or all of
the following:

1. Whenever I run pup or pirut, comps.xml appears to
be overwritten. Why is this? If the file is some kind
of cache, why is it constantly being written? Why
doesn't this (appear to) happen when I run yum from
the command-line?

2. Why is the comps.xml file not validated on first
read? If it were, the nasty error below could be
replaced with something like "/var/cache/yum/extras
comps.xml file corrupt - does not validate against
comps.dtd". Of course, this isn't perfect, but it's
better than the current behaviour.

3. Why isn't comps.xml validated on write, most
importantly? I would have thought one of the greatest
benefits of an XML file format for pure data is that
data files can easily be validated. It would be nice
to have a mechanism to guarantee that such data files
cannot become corrupt - i.e. DTD validation.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer. If
there is existing documentation that can help to
answer these questions, please let me know.

Regards,

- Bobby

--- Bobby Jack <bobbykjack@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today I experienced problems running the front-end
> apps (pirut and pup) - full error reproduced at the
> end of this message. I tracked down the problem to
> an
> invalid entry for digikamimageplugins in comps.xml
> (/var/cache/yum/extras/comps.xml). The offending
> line
> (with 1 line of context either side) is:
>
> <packagereq type="optional">digikam</packagereq>
> <packagereq
> type="optinoal">digikamimageplugins</packagereq>
> <packagereq type="optional">fontforge</packagereq>
>
> As you can see, the 'type' attribute has a typo:
> "optinoal". Having corrected the typo, the cache
> file
> is then regenerated (incorrectly) whenever I run
> either of the above apps. Even after executing a
>
> yum clean all
>
> the regenerated file continues to contain this typo,
> hampering pup/pirut. yum itself *appears* to run OK
> from the command-line (no packages marked for
> update,
> but no errors given).
>
> Does anyone know:
>
> a) Why this is happening? I don't know much about
> the
> workings of yum, but I assume this means there is
> dodgy data in one of the repositories.
>
> b) Why isn't the comps.xml file validated? There is
> DTD (comps.dtd) specified, but this doesn't appear
> be present on my system, and it's obviously not
> being
> validated against.
>
> c) How I can resolve this issue?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> - Bobby
>
> ----------------
>
> Component: Software Manager
> comps.py:143:parse_package_list:CompsException
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 453, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 449, in main
>     pm.run()
>   File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 358, in run
>     self.doRefresh()
>   File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 373, in doRefresh
>     self.reposSetup(pbar)
>   File

"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py",