Re: yumex/yum upgrade bug...

seth vidal wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 15:07 -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
Dear list,

I just used the standard install method (PXE booted to the usual install
GUI) to do an "upgrade" from a fairly clean (recently reinstalled) FC5
laptop to FC6 and encountered a few minor problems (minor with
potentially serious consequences; I'm hoping that my system isn't
trashed and won't need a clean FC6 reinstall).

   a) The layering of the installation (or whatever) caused /etc/yum.conf
to contain

  distroverpkg=redhat-release

(which was not installed).  This is, I believe, supposed to be
overwritten with fedora-release (which WAS installed) so that it ends up

  distroverpkg=fedora-release

no, the first one is correct. distroverpkg looks for whatprovides
redhat-release which is fedora-release on fedora, rhel-release on rhel,
centos-release on centos (see a trend)

Consequently when I ran yum post install, I got a most strange mix of
updates and so on from FC 5 repo paths and many odd error messages.
However yum itself was relatively well behaved and once I did some
downloading of clean copies of the core rpms, some judicious rpm --erase
and reinstallation (in the right order) yum itself worked fine.

   b) yumex, however, continued to try to access FC 5 repos (with the
wrong checksums and near complete bombout) even AFTER yum.conf clearly
contained the right distroverpkg and was supposed to be trying to access
the 6 repos.  I finally ran that problem down to here:  one has to clear
yumex-mirror-cache.conf:

Tim, you on this list?
I'm  here :-)

There is a problem known problem with yumex when upgrading from FC5 -> FC6.

The 1.0.x/1.2.x yumex branch caches the mirrorlist urls in the yumex-mirror-cache.conf for 7 days.

So the file has to deleted or cleared to make yumex work with the right.

In the current yumex developent branch 1.9.x, I dont do this kind of caching any more.

Tim