Is yum able to handle multiple version in one repository

Hi,

we are investigating YUM as a repository solution to distribute our software and have the following question:

Our software is split up in multiple parts that are installed on different computers but we would like to have only one repository serving all the different parts (as they are interlinked dependencies).

To handle the installation we have wrapper rpms that contains the necessary dependencies, e.g. we want to install the wrapper rpm 'package-A' on computer1 and the wrapper rpm 'package-B' on computer2.

package-A has a dependency on ext-package-A, ext-package-B, ext-package-C
package-A has a dependency on ext-package-A, ext-package-C

so they share some dependencies.

Now normally all the version are in sync but they are cases where this is not the case, e.g.

package-A 3.0.0 depends on ext-package-A = 2.0.0
                           ext-package-B >= 3.1.0
                           ext-package-C >= 4.3.0

while

package-B 4.0.0 depends on ext-package-A >= 3.0.0
                           ext-package-B >= 3.1.0
                           ext-package-C >= 4.3.0

so package-B uses the latest version of ext-package-A while package-A uses an older version. As they are supposed to be installed on different computers this does not conflict.

In my repository I have both the new and the old version of ext-packageA: ext-package-A 2.0.0 and ext-package-A 3.0.0 ...

My question is: Is yum able to handle a repository that contains both version allowing to install package-A on one computer, package-B on another computer, both pointing to the same repository?

Trying it with a standard setup, yum complains for package-A that it cannot install it because of

.......Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package package-A needs ext-package-A = 2.0.0, this is not available

So far we are using APT and are phasing the same problem.

Any idea or workaround? Changing settings etc?

Thanks for your help in advance,

  Jojo