[Yum] newbie

Garrick Staples wrote:
>> I am new to Linux and yum.  I am attempting to install yum on a
RedHat
>> as 3 machine.  I have downloaded yum 2.6.1 from the
>> http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/ website.  I have also extracted
the
>> files currently in /home/yum/.  I cannot seem to properly install yum
on
>> this system.  Can someone give me some direction on what steps I need
>> perform to install yum 2.6.1 onto my computer?

>As per http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download.ptml, you'll see
that
>the python versions on RHEL3 limits yum to 2.0.8.

Ok, forgive my ignorance as a newbie but I don't really know what that
means in my situation.  Have I attempted to download and install an
incompatible version?  If so what should I be installing?  As stated
before, I am a newbie and seem to be making newbie mistakes but don't
know I am doing so.  If I am incorrectly attempting something I should
not be attempting what exactly am I needing to do instead?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Steve