[Yum] bizarre yum badness -- packages removed instead of updated...

So, it occured to me that this problem (summary: yum logs that it's updating
a package, but it appears to actually be removing and then reinstalling)
shows up very clearly for us because when this happens to openafs-client,
the transaction actually bombs out.

For most packages, if this happens, there's no negative consequences at all.
However, any other packages with "final-uninstall" scriptlets protected by
the [ "$1" = "0" ] convention could have other surprising behavior that
might not be noticed for a while. Particularly, packages with `chkconfig
--del` in their preinstall might surprisingly be reverted to their default
runlevels.

Has anyone seen anything this?

By the way, in this latest case, the problem showed up when someone ran "yum
update" manually -- not just via our automatic script.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>