[Yum] Bleeding edge avoidence

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 11:25 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > A couple of other questions now: can I expect
> > the versionlock to work 'backwards'?  That is, if the testing
> > turned out to be optimistic, could I back down to the previous
> > packages by using the list from the prior CVS commit (assuming
> > the repositories still held the old files, of course)?
>
> I would think it would have a problem with this, as it would need to
> remove the newer package and install the older one (at least I can't
> easily make yum replace a newer pacakge with an older one).  So, I don't
> know if the plugin would do that.
>
> Things like this would also require all RPMS to be in the repo and
> maintained forever.

Forever - or at least until you notice that the new update you just
applied is broken - so forever or the next day, whichever comes first...

> You mentioned C3, where there are no yum plugins as well.

> We are working on a yum-2.4.x for centos3 ... however it is not ready
> yet.

The version of yum in Centos 3.x includes the --download-only option
as a built in.   And so far Centos3 has not had any updates that
I would have wanted to back out or needed to hold back.  The only
thing even resembling a glitch was a long time ago when the ifup/down
scripts started observing the HWADDR settings for interfaces which
could have been a problem on the machines where the disks were
pre-configured and shipped to remote sites for installation if I
hadn't caught it before too many updates.   So thanks for helping
with the bleeding-edge avoidance on that front.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx