[Yum] dag repo problems

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:53:30 -0700, Michael Stenner wrote
DNS".

> > >That usually is the problem for what you're describing.
> >
> > But the odd thing is that no matter where in the world I connect
> > (and therefore using the DNS of whoever I'm connected through) I
> > still get the same error. If it was only on (for example) my home
> > network using my own ISP's DNS, I'd agree the DNS would be the
> > problem, but it's everywhere (and no, I'm not running a DNS on my
> > laptop, and yes, my connections do all use the DHCP-provided DNS
> > addresses :-)
>
> try gethostip rather than nslookup.  I've seen issues with
> /etc/nsswitch.conf and (for example) nis cause calls to
> gethostbyname(3) to fail.

I think this is the reverse of the problem. What I want is for *yum*
(or rather, Python) to do the lookup reliably. If I manually lookup
the hostname for a repo, I get the correct IP addresses from nslookup
(demonstrable by the fact that I can then manually go to the repo
URI and see the files). But yum tells me that the repo is not there
or is inaccessible, which is patently untrue.

My guess is that there is a timing problem somewhere: something is
either expiring or simply failing to look something up.

I'll look at the code and see if I can set some tracing breakpoints
which will show me what yum is actually trying to do. Currently it
just spins its wheels and says there are no more mirrors to try,
without having specified what it found wrong with the ones it tried.
I'm simply unwilling to believe that it couldn't turn up a working
mirror for updates-released :-)

///Peter