[Yum] useless dependency

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:38:59PM +0200, pierre.frenkiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi everybody,
> I have 2 questions about yum
>  1/ strange results
>     I have the lyx package installed, version lyx-1.4.1-2.fc4
>     "yum update lyx" gives:
>         Package lyx.i386 0:1.4.1-7.fc4 set to be updated
>     but "yum --enablerepo=* list available" only shows
>         lyx.i386 0:1.4.1-7.fc6
>     the fc4 package is not listed !
>    can anybody explain that?

you're probably enabling the "fedora-development" yum repo, which contains
the latest and most unstable. --enablerepo=* seems like a bad idea to me.

>  2/ wrong dependency:
>     as with rpm, "yum update lyx" gives:
>        Missing Dependency: tetex-dvipost is needed by package lyx
>
>    In fact I have an other tex distrib installed instead of
>    tetex, and lyx works perfectly with it.
>    With rpm, you can say "--nodeps", and I don't find the equivalent
>    in yum. I think that this option is badly missing.
>
>    Does anybody  knows a workaround ?
>    (I mean using yum, not just downloading the rpm file
>    and running "rpm")

rpm --nodeps is not something I would recommend. If you have another tex
distribution that works perfectly with lyx, you probably want to package it in
an rpm format and make sure it provides the same dependencies as the standard
tetex. Then yum won't complain anymore.

Broken dependencies are bad.

HTH,
Misa