[Yum] Why is yum not interruptible with SIGTERM/ctrl-c?

Michael Stenner wrote:

> I recall that some folks (a little myself, but mostly Menno, I think)
> put a bunch of time into this problem and came up with some clever
> solutions.  I think the plan was that during a download, one ctrl-c
> would skip to the next mirror and two would bail out of yum.  Did that
> code ever make it in?
> 					-Michael

The code never made it in because it relied on us getting a patch into
rpm. This patch wasn't accepted for various reasons. Some people
expressed concerns that it was potentially dangerous from an rpmdb
corruption point of view.

My current thinking is that yum shouldn't have the rpmdb open during
downloads. This is where most people want to CTRL-C yum and yum doesn't
need the rpmdb at that point. I've been wanting to look at this for ages
but haven't found the time to do it. On quick examination it's
non-trival to change yum to do this properly.

I was thinking this change could be done as part of the RpmDBSack work
that Seth has been talking about (having an interface to the rpmdb that
looks like other PackageSack's). This new packagesack would only open
rpmdb as required, keeping it closed as much as possible.

I really really want to fix this problem but it has been a frustrating
process.

Menno