[Yum] Yum speedup

I was thinking of ways of speeding up what I (as a user) see as "the
slow bits" of Yum.

One thing is that Yum has to know when repositories have changed, and
currently it uses http or ftp for that.  Could it use DNS, as the ClamAV
project does?

DNS is very scalable, has lots of caching, and is fairly solid.  And
it's faster than downloading an XML file, because downloading requires a
DNS lookup first.

   % nslookup -q=txt repositoryversion.fedora.redhat.com
   Non-authoritative answer:
   repositoryversion.fedora.redhat.com    text = "As of 2006-03-28,
   this repository is at Version 5.0.1.  This message's signature:
   e84f1115fe94"

See 'nslookup -q=txt current.cvd.clamav.net' for a working (though
cryptic) example.

Is there merit in copying this idea for Yum?

Thanks!
--
PF <kernel@xxxxxxx>