[Yum] yum exit codes

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 14:37 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> define a failure for me:
> - if you ask to install 5 packages and 2 of them are not available in a
> repo and 1 of them is already installed but 2 of them can be installed -
> is that a failure or a success?
>
> - if you ask to remove 2 packages and 1 is not installed and 1 is
> installed. Is that a failure or a success.

Good questions. I would base the definition of failure on a reasonable
definition of what the state of a system should be after running the
corresponding yum command (and I am sure others will disagree ;) If the
system is in any other state after the yum run, be that because a
dependency doesn't exist in a repo, the network is down, ... that should
be flagged as a failure witha non-zero exit code.

If I run 'yum install p1 p2 ...' I would define success as all the
packages being installed on the system after yum finishes.

If I run 'yum remove p1 p2 ...' success should be that none of p1,
p2, ... are installed on the system after yum finishes.

> - if you use the yum shell and stack 3 update commands, 2 install
> commands and 1 update command. And only one action does not work, is
> that a failure or a success.

Hmm ... yum shell is a little beyond my needs right now, but I would say
yum shell only succeeds if all the actions in the shell succeed
individually.

David