[Yum] specifying architectures in the grouplist.xml?

I've got a problem. I'm using yum as the depsolver and package
frontend for an RHEL4 build on x86_64. I'd like to be able to make
groups of packages that are i386-only so that I can control what the
build of a particular system will look like.

When I've built a repo with the following as an example xml excerpt in
my grouplist.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE comps PUBLIC "-//Red Hat, Inc.//DTD Comps info//EN" "comps.dtd">
<comps>
<!-- from /opt/MYLinux/RHELAS_4.0_x86_64//repo/group.d/, filename: group-DEV_BUILD.xml -->
  <group>
    <id>DEV_BUILD</id>
    <name>DEV_BUILD</name>
    <description>The packages to enable the development build of the MY 4.0 Linux</description>
    <default>yes</default>
    <uservisible>true</uservisible>
    <packagelist>

      <packagereq type="mandatory">cpp</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="mandatory">e2fsprogs-devel</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="mandatory">fontconfig-devel</packagereq>

Then everything works, and I can perform yum grouplist and all is well.

However, if I change the packagereq for something where I need one of
the two (for instance if I'm trying to create a group for just the
older ia32 binaries in my environment) and I do this, which seems to be a strong candidate for being the "proper" syntax:

      <packagereq type="mandatory">cpp.i386</packagereq>

when there is a .i386.rpm of that package in the repo, then I can't
seem to do a groupinstall (listing works fine, but the actual list of
packages that yum resolves appears to be null when all have this, or
x86_64 for instance), only package-by-package installs work.

Is there a way to tell yum that a particular group should only allow
for the install of one of the possible architectures available?

TIA,

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.