[Yum] YUM install error "warning: user skvidal does not exist - using root"

On 12/12/05, Paul Conn <reconn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just installed RHEL3 and am trying to install YUM RPM.  I'm getting the
> following error:
>

> # rpm -iv yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm
>
> warning: yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 69886cc7
>
> yum-2.4.1-1
>
> warning: user skvidal does not exist - using root
>
> warning: group skvidal does not exist - using root
>
> warning: user skvidal does not exist - using root
>
> warning: group skvidal does not exist - using root
>

> Anyone have any suggestions?
>

> Paul Conn

That doesn't install yum. that installs the source for yum so that you
can build the rpm yourself.  What you're seeing shows that skvidal was
the user who packaged the srpm, and thus the srpm retains his user id.
It's not an error so much as a notice. I'd recommend grabbing the yum
rpms for centos <shameless plug> an excellent rhel rebuild </shameless
plug> and using them if you're not familiar with rebuilding srpms.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT