[Yum] protectbase plugin question & other plugins

I am using CentOS 4.2. I have installed the protectbase plugin and it
seems to work perfectly. Now I need to allow one or two softwares to
byepass protection e.g. I want to get xmms & some other media tools from
DAG's repository. Can I allow that without removing protection from the
entire base disto by using something like excludepkgs ets.

Would this sort of thing lead to breakage of dependencies?

Also, What other plugins for yum are there? Please giveme a URL where I
can find this info.

With regards.
Sanjay.