[Yum] FC4 - yum 2.3.x, 2.4.0

Ok I have done everything correctly as far as I can tell. Nearly everything
I have read talks about how yum works "out of the box" with FC4, but for the
life of me I can't get it to work for anything.

I exported my proxy setting since I initially was getting nowhere. Then I
kept getting messages about "Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:
updates-released

ok, well all the provided repo files have baseurl commented out, so I
uncommented the line in fedora-updates.repo and got this output:
Setting up repositories
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:09:39 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.43 (Unix)
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: updates-released
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from updates-released: [Errno 256] No more
mirrors to try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from updates-released: [Errno 256] No
more mirrors to try.

I find that as extremely strange since I can put the entire URL:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xmlin
my browser and the xml file is shown fine.

It isn't the proxy that I am going through because I know of at least one
other person who works where I do that has no problems.

what the heck is going on here?