[Yum] What does "ts run" do?

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 18:27 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Seth V. has (justly) rebuked me for sending him a message directly and
> not posting it to the list.  Here is the message that provoked his
> rebuke:
>

> Thanks for your quick reply.
> To clarify references, I am running FC4 with yum-2.4.0-0.fc4 .
>
> jon
>
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:23 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 18:33 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > > What does the "ts" command, found in e.g. /etc/yum/yum.daily as "ts run"
> > > do?  It seems to be completely undocumented, and I would rather not grok
> > > the whole source.  If, as I suspect, it invokes other commands, what
> > > does the "run" command do?
>
> > you should be able to see:
> > man yum-shell
>
> This was, of course, the first thing I did.  The word "ts" doesn't
> appear anywhere in any of these man pages:
>         yum                  (8)  - Yellowdog Updater Modified
>         yum [yum-shell]      (8)  - Yellowdog Updater Modified shell
>         yum-arch             (8)  - Creates yum distribution database
>         yum.conf [yum]       (5)  - Configuration file for yum(8)
>

> > ts is an abbreviation for 'transaction'
>
> The transaction command does appear in the yum-shell man.
>
> > so ts run does the same thing as 'transaction run' or 'run' all of these
> > run the loaded transaction.
>
> Unfortunately, I still don't understand.  What's a transaction?  What
> are "all of these"?  What does it mean for a transaction to be loaded?

a transaction is the set of items that will be changed on the system:

if you tell yum to 'update' it will find the set of packages that need
to be updated and list them in the transaction set as to be updated.
Then when you're in the yum shell and you type 'transaction run', 'ts
run' or just 'run' it executes the set of commands in that transaction
set.

-sv