[Yum] Build issues on rhel4

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 01:38:37PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-22-09 at 10:30 -0700, Peter C. Norton wrote:
> > Similar issues with yum-utils:
> >
> >     group pmatilai does not exist - using root
> >     File not found: /var/tmp/yum-utils-0.3.1-1-root-/usr/etc/sysconfig/yum-updateonboot
> >     File must begin with "/": %{_initrddir}/yum-updateonboot
> >
> > The _initrddir is not defined on rhel3 and rhel4, and it actually
> > seems like it's the wrong macro to be pulling in since the package
> > wants to be in /etc/init.d/.
>
> Believe it or not, %{_initrddir} has nothing to do with initrd and
> everything with init.d.
>
> Yeah.
>
> We know.
>
> No, actually, we don't know. It's just that way.

Hmm, interesting.

Either way, for both yum and yum-utils the _sysconfdir, _mandir, and
_initrddir are not passed to configure and so having the macros in use
there cause breakage when they're not the default on the platform that
the package maintainer is using.

If these aren't going to be passed to configure, then they should be
removed because they're getting in the way of the specfile being
cross-platform.

Personally I think it'd be better to have conditionals at least where
the macro's aren't defined. For instance, documenting that for
building on RHELAS you have to run

rpmbuild --define "RHEL 1"

so that this in the top:
%if %{RHEL}
  %define _sysconfdir /etc
%else
  %define something else
%endif

Makes everything work.

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.