[Yum] Re: yum on RHEL AS release 3 taroon 4 on dell 64 bit HW

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Peter C. Norton wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 12:11:52PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > you're going to be pushing it to get sqlite and elementtree working
> > under python 2.2 - I'd recommend 2.3 or higher but rhel4 has python 2.3
> > so it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> yum can be pretty easily built on rhel4. The packages at
> http://dag.wieers.com makes things far easier than having to chase down and
> building the equivelant packages yourself.

FWIW,
I tried that route but it turned out to be easier to simply take the fc4 srpms
and rebuild them on am el4 machine. The way the packages are setup on dag
differs from they way the fc rpms are arranged so it is possible to install
yum and all of its deps but still not have a working yum. Using the fc4
sqlite and elementree solves that. It was as simple as doing an rpmbuild on
the el4 machine. Who knows, you might even be able to take the fc4 binaries
and install them but I did not try.

For the record I did get yum working with the dag packages but it was much more
fiddley.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx