[Yum] overly cautious free space checking?

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> p.s.  just thinking out loud but would it be unreasonable for yum to
> print a reference to that workaround under these circumstances?
> clearly, what i was doing was a bit extreme -- trying to update a
> fresh FC4 install months after its official release which represented
> an update of 500+ packages, but it's not hard to imagine the
> occasional person doing this and failing the same way and not knowing
> what to do at that point.
>
> just a thought.

Or better yet, give yum a "disk miser" mode where it groups a large
install into dependency ordered sub-installations and instead of
downloading all 500 packages at once, it a) runs the disk check on the
largest free space requirement for the independent ordered groups and
barfs on THAT, since this is the sine qua non -- if you don't have at
least this much space you CANNOT safely update even if you do it by hand
without first freeing up some space; b) it then downloads the groups, in
order, installs them, and cleans them so that the largest footprint
occupied is the reported on from a).

This has the additional benefit of being a bit safer with regard to
interruption mid-task and being restartable; as the number of packages
being updated at one time increases, so does the possibility that an
interruption will leave the system in an odd state with multiple sets of
dependent packages half installed.  This in turn increases (or so it
seems to me) the probability of experiencing trans-novice problems.

There are times with my old laptop (which had a marginally large enough
root for everything that I wanted to throw on it as the distros became
richer) that I would have killed for a disk miser mode.  Without it, I
had to do all that juggling by hand, literally uninstalling certain
packages, updating other packages, reinstalling.  Open office, for
example, has a huge update footprint -- order of 100 MB for the
compressed rpms, 2-3 times that for the uncompressed rpms, and for a
while there the OLD uncompressed rpms are also resident.  Somewhere in
the ballpark of 300-500 MB highwater in space if you don't do things
very cleverly, or first erase the old completely and then install the
new while also erasing three other toplevel and hence relatively easily
removed/reinstalled rpms first.

Yes, this would be a lot of programming work.  Yes, it would run slow as
molasses and maybe be dangerous at first until it is pretty thoroughly
debugged -- but still INFINITELY faster and smarter and safer than
humans are likely to be, as a computer can actually work through the
dependency trees systematically and (eventually) without error.

I otherwise would tend to be uncomfortable ignoring rpm's warnings about
space requirements because running out of space in mid-install on an
override could leave your system anywhere from mildly messed up to
totally borked.  Running out of ANY memory resource on a computer
running software that assumes that the resource will never be completely
exhausted is just a bad idea.

    rgb