[Yum] Re: yum install using auto-dependency checking???

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, jeff stern wrote:
>>> but this is exactly the problem. the .spec file never said that the
>>> php-interbase sub-package *requires* libgds.so.. but it generated it
>>> anyway as a 'requires'.. so apparently, rpm's automatic
>>> dependency-checking *does* check things that are not in rpms..?
>>

>> No, rpm checks the shared lib dependencies of binaries in the package, when
>> it _builds_ the rpm.
>
> that's what we were talking about. build-time.
>
> but even when i remove build-time auto-dependency checking (via "AutoReq: no"
> (and thus libgds.so does not show up in 'rpm -qp --provides
> php-interbase-5.0.4-10.4.i686.rpm'), yum STILL stumbles on it at *install*
> time (even though, now rpm -ivh php-interbase-5.0.4-10.4.i686.rpm is now
> happy to install it).. thus, my original post.. :/

If rpm is happy but yum is not, then you have bad / out-of-date metadata
for yum, simple as that. If you've run createrepo and yum still sees the
dependency, the bad version is either coming from a proxy (seen that on
occasion) or from local metadata (which can in some cases get confused if
you don't bump release number on each build).

Run 'yum clean all' and then try to install again with yum.

 	- Panu -