[Yum] Re: [followup] avoid installing 2 copies of everything multilib

Seth:

> I understand what you're trying to do. The problem is with the globs.
>
> yum install foo*
>
> Does that mean anything named foo* but only the basearch?
> or
> Does that mean ANYTHING named foo* in any arch that can be installed.

My preference (naturally) would be to only install the basearch, when
'basearch-only' mode is enabled, and more than one arch is available.

I understand the 'install everything possible to be safe' philosophy, but
I also think some users have a legitimate desire to avoid installing
unnecessary arch compatibility stuff.

The globbing feature of yum is new to me (I haven't followed development
closely), but anyway it seems like it could be a bit dangerous- installing
everything that happens to match a particular name, regardless of what it
is or what it does? I'm sure it's convenient for people that just want to
get stuff installed in a hurry on their machine, etc.

The suggestion to use regexps is one way to avoid ambiguity, although
personally I wouldn't use that sort of pattern matching to install RPMS in
system administration. What we use is a separate parser that understands
comps.xml files and munges the groups into lists of RPMs. It's a hack; we
use yum on the back end to do the actual package installation/updating.

Thanks,

Chris
wingc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx