[Yum] Re: going from fc2-->fc3

bruce wrote:
> hi....

Hi,

> i tried to update a RH8 --> fc2 and it appears to work...

Well. You like gambling :-) that's great.
Be sure, first.

> in trying to go from fc2 --> fc3 i'm having issues when i try to upgrade
> yum.

What steps did you follow?
What version was it before, and what after?

> although, to be honest, i'm not entirely convinced that the upgrade to fc2
> was completely successful. i noticed that the version of python on the
> system is not what i see in the fedora/download dir for fc2.
> when i load/install yum for fc3 and try to do a command line 'yum' it dies,
> so it appears that i need some additional components in order to run yum for
> fc3.

First try to have a working FC2. How about forcing install of yum + rpm
+ python manually, then try an update?

What about upgrading with a CD install?

> i tried to do a 'yum upgrade yum pyhton rpm...' but i don't see a difference
> in the version of yum when i do an 'rpm -q yum'...

What's said in the logs?

> any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong...

look at the log file.

> i've tried to upgrade python by itself with no luck.. which is one of the
> reasons i need yum!!!
>
> pointers/thoughts/etc... would be appreciated...

The Fedora list first, to ask for experiences, and to diagnosys your
situation.

Then if it appears that yum is the problem, come here.

> i've tried to follow some of the suggestions that i've seen from google..

Dont forget that we cannot guess what did you do, so later, try to
describe what you did.

--
Miroir de logiciels libres => http://www.etud-orleans.fr
  Un Nokia sous Linux,    "programmable" en Open Source