[Yum] [UG] parallelizing downloading

Michael Stenner writes:

> MY INTEREST
>
> Mostly, I'm interested in this problem for intellectual reasons.  It's
> hard.  That would be my primary drive.  Also, it would "fill out"
> urlgrabber nicely.  I agree that there would not be much benefit for
> most yum users.

Well, y'know Michael, intellectual satisfaction and the challenge of it
all for the developers is, actually, both a necessary AND sufficient
reason to do it.  I was just saying that there are other things that one
COULD do that might be less satisfying but might, in fact, provide a
greater good for a greater number with a lot less headaches.  And you're
right, the slowdown associated with this sort of low grade parallelism
is probably negligible (presuming that it is done "right", although
there are significant UI and debugging issues.

But still being way overprogrammed to do the necessary coding myself,
far be it from me to suggest one or another path for the developers.
The only fair way for developer time to be allocated is for the
developers to do the allocation, and anybody who doesn't like it is
welcome to -- develop;-)

    rgb