[Yum] [UG] parallelizing downloading

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 12:22 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> Michael Stenner writes:
>
> > I'm actually open to picking this issue up again if there's interest.
> > We imagined a "batch grabber" which would be a grabber wrapper object
> > much like the mirrorgroup stuff, but which would take a list of files
> > (perhaps a queue for pipelining applications) and go to town on them.
>
> It might be good to first determine the "advantage" of parallel
> downloads and the number of systems that would benefit.

I believe I understand your arguments when it comes to yum being
included in distributions like Fedora Core and being used by hundreds of
folks on the Internet.  We, on the other hand, are rolling yum into our
enterprise for RHEL 3 and 4 updates.  We are migrating away from Red
Carpet (uggh) that had parallel downloads (set to 5 by default).

Even on 100BaseT or Gigabit LANs inside the same DC, parallel downloads
reduce the time it takes a sysadmin to patch their linux host.  When we
have farms of linux hosts, reduction in patching time is a huge
productivity gain.  Consider the fact that we have RPM'ized Oracle 9i.
While the 1.2GB Oracle server RPM is getting downloaded, it sure would
be nice if 4 other packages were getting downloaded at the same
time.  :-)

We are deploying yum repos on load-balanced web servers and we're also
planning to use existing Cisco Content Engines across the globe to cache
our content.  Parallel downloads would be very nice in our environment.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.