[Yum] [UG] parallelizing downloading

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 04:06 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > As for skipping, kill the slowest connection and try another mirror.
> >

> so wait - you're talking about downloading the SAME file in parallel?
>
> I don't think anyone here has been suggesting that so far and as far as
> complexity goes that's WAY beyond where we started.
>
> -sv

BitTorrent goes into an "end game" mode near the end of a download.
That's when it starts asking for the same file piece from multiple
sources, and as soon as it gets the piece, it cancels the download of
that piece from other sources.  This mode is needed, since there's
typically some really bad connection that will make you wait forever if
you don't re-request the file from someone else.

I'm a big fan of the parallel download idea.  It's one of those things
that should really happen.  It is, however, complex.  I recommend making
it a separate application from YUM, one that just works really well with
YUM.  YUM isn't very big, yet.  If you start sucking protocols that are
more complex than FTP into it, it may bloat.

Bill