[Yum] A real speedup (rsync)

I read on the archives about yum and Bt.
Altough it seems an interesting idea, I think that there are other
optimizations to do to speed up yum.
Most time one uses yum, is for upgrading.
Usually most of the package is unchanged. Think of kernel modules,
artworks, documentation, long scripts. I think rsync algos can speed up
ELFs too... or maybe not :)
Ok you already get the point.
Make a rsync plugin, something like mc's rpm vfs (cd foo.rpm#rpm in mc,
try this). So it has both headers and files, in a manner that one could
theoretically reconstruct the rpm.
It shouldn't be too hard, as rpm AFAIK are just modded cpio archives.
Additionally, add a custom limit for small files, eg 1-2M for broadband,
500 K for dialup.

PROS:
*way faster upgrades for most packages;
*even more fast upgrades for security fixes (often there are only few K
to change);
*less bandwidth for mirrors;
*most of the work is already done in rsync.

CONS:
*high server load;
*may not work on some firewalls;
*add complexity to yum (it must not break when upgrading rsync);
*requires special setup on mirror.
*break GPG signatures (?)

--
Linux User #153639      RoLug Member - http://rovigo.linux.it