[Yum] Obsoletes package gets updated?

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 20:54 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> Seth et al,
>
> We're trying to implement yum groups for certain types of hosts or
> classes of hosts.  For example, we might have a Cisco-Workstation
> yumgroup and it contains certain RPMs.  Between updates of RHEL, that
> yumgroup might also need to obsolete a few packages we no longer want in
> a workstation.  The same applies to our Cisco-DMZ-Server yumgroup.  It
> may be that we included a proprietary RPM a few updates ago named foo.
> We now have an RPM Cisco-DMZ-Server-meta contained inside
> Cisco-DMZ-Server yumgroup that has a "obsoletes: foo".
>
> We only want the -meta RPM installed as part of the Cisco-DMZ-Server
> yumgroup.  If RPM foo is installed on another server profile,
> Cisco-DMZ-Server-meta should not be seen as a natural upgrade path to foo.
>
> We have an upgrade script that detects which yumgroups should be
> installed on a given host and groupinstall's each one; it then runs yum
> update for good measure.  During this yum update, we are currently
> excluding *-meta RPMs from the update.  This works around the behavior
> we found earlier today in that Cisco-DMZ-Server-meta RPM was a logical
> upgrade on any host that had foo installed.

Why not make your clients request a yum.conf from a cgi on each run? You
could simply put as the only line in the /etc/yum.conf:
include=http://someserver/cgi-bin/yumconf.cgi

and it would output a cgi and include obsoletes=0, if so required.
it could also include your standard set of excludes and any other set of
things you needed.

-sv