[Yum] Dependancy resolver issues with SuSE kernel update

Am Samstag, 18. Juni 2005 06:45 schrieb seth vidal:
> > Here's the important part of /etc/yum.conf:
> >
> > installonlypkgs=kernel-default, kernel-default-nongpl, kernel-smp,
> >  	kernel-smp-nongpl, kernel-syms, kernel-bigsmp,
> > kernel-bigsmp-nongpl, kernel-um, kernel-um-nongpl,kernel-xen,
> > kernel-xen-nongpl
> >
> > I don't know, if this isn't my fault, since the kernel-syms (as dep
> > of kernel-source) package shouldn't be in this list. Needless to
> > say, if I remove it, yum update seems to do it right:
>
> So just to make sure I understand this.
>
> When you try to do an update of kernel-syms, not just an install of
> the new version, things work correctly? What exactly is the bug you
> think you're seeing here? It sounds like kernel-syms is not a package
> that is built for multiply-installed sets.

Well, it is possible to multiply-install it, just like kernel-source.

I (accidently) put kernel-syms in installonlypkgs. kernel-syms depends
on an exact version of kernel-source (which isn't in installonlypkgs):

# rpm -qR kernel-syms-2.6.11.4-21.7
linux
kernel-source = 2.6.11.4-21.7
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsBzip2) <= 3.0.5-1

When a new kernel arrived, yum 2.3.2 bailed out on an ordinary "yum
update", but happily updated them via yum shell on a nightly run,
leaving a dangling dependancy of kernel-syms to kernel-source.

I can confirm, that this discrepancy is fixed in yum 2.3.3. yum shell
behaves exactly like yum update now.

> > The question is, isn't my whole issue a red herring in the first
> > place, or should yum deal with such a somewhat bogus setting?
>
> B/c it leaves a dependency dangling, it seems. What would you expect
> yum to do?

Not anymore.

In a perfect yum world, it would determine all exact dependant packages
of installonlypkgs arguments, and "install only" them also. In my case,
kernel-syms should have forced kernel-source into install only mode.
OTOH, I can imagine, that this behavior will be pretty hard to archive,
considering the various forms of dependancies..

For now, a note in yum.conf to take dependant (on exact version of)
packages from installonlypkgs into account would be nice.

Really cool would be to add an additional note in the error message:
Current message:
Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
Error: Package kernel-syms needs kernel-source = 2.6.11.4-20a, this is
not available.

Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
Error: Package kernel-syms needs kernel-source = 2.6.11.4-20a, this is
not available, because kernel-source is in update mode (versus install
only mode).

but again, I'm not sure, this is all worth the hassle.

Red-herring-ly y'rs,
Pete