[Yum] Dependancy resolution problem: multiple providers

I'm seeing a problem that is strange, and goes against what I would
think yum would/should do for dependancy resolition.  Let me describe it
here:

I do a "yum groupinstall xyz"

Group xyz contains a package that needs a "bar.so" file.  The yum repo
that group xyz is in also contains two other packages that provide
bar.so, call them foo2 and foo3.  These packages aren't in the xyz
group, but are provided by the same repo that the xyz group is in.

Package foo1, which *also* provides bar.so, is *already* installed on
the system.  Given this, why does yum 2.2.1 want to pull down foo2 and
foo3 packages?  I've seen yum (and anaconda) pull down all N number of
packages that provide bar.so if it doesn't exist on the machine at all,
and this seems fair: Yum has no way of knowing which package is best as
they all provide bar.so, so it grabs them all.

In this case though, yum should know that bar.so so is *already*
provided and on the system, and not feel any need to download futher
providers of bar.so.  Please tell me I'm smoking crack and that that
isn't really supposed to happen.

--
Joshua Jensen
joshua@xxxxxxxx