[Yum] yum in kickstart %post and HP Insight Mgr

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 18:38 -0400, Joshua Jensen wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:23:55PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >
> > Seth's right -- the correct thing to do is fix the package. I almost
> > put that in the last message, but got lazy. :)
>
> I agree.  The broken package is the problem *in this case*.  I'll bet if
> we all thought about it though we could come up with *several* scenarios
> where a --tsflags, or even just a --test cli option, would be very very
> useful for a test run of this or that.
>
> Look at it from an enterprise perspective.  I'm about to write up a
> document, for nearly 100 system admins, explaining yum.  Imagine their
> reaction when they ask "how do I do a test run of an rpm/yum
> transaction" and I answer:
>
> first, edit yum.conf and add a global line for tsflags
> then, run your *one* yum command that you want to test
> last, undo the global option you just set in yum.conf
> Repeat this process for every test you ever run with yum for the rest of your career with Linux

1. Use the $YUM0-9 options - they are there for oddball needs like this
- then you can change them with an environment variable set.
2. You're right that these can be a pain to change - but this is
precisely why Menno wrote the plugins so it could add command line
options. It's not in 2.2.X, I'm sorry, but it's just not. It is in the
2.3.X line and will eventually be in 2.4.

it's the best I've got at this moment.

-sv