[Yum] Yum munging systems?

Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>Of all the depsolvers out there apt is the one with most potential of
>>screwing up your system royally if you happen to have some unresolved
>>dependencies on your system (as a result of rpm -[U|i|e] --nodeps), yum
>>(or any other non-apt related depsolver) will want to remove dozens of
>>packages just to force rpmdb consistency.

Yes - exactly why I shifted. I designed the briQ which runs on a
subversion of YellowDog. In the start I noticed that when I took a newly
installed YDL and did a yum update, then yum would always complain about
a lot of unresolved dependencies. I never got apt to run very well. It
always crashed or screwed the rpm base up.

>>If you have a pointer to the specific case where apt-rpm did the "right
>>thing" and yum didn't, there might be a lesson to learn, otherwise it's
>>just hogwash.

I have only seen yum screw up in places where there were no easy way
out. Call it operator error.

Karsten