[Yum] dependency problem

I recently rebuilt a low level P2 PC to function as a firewall for my home
network.  The unit had been running RH8 for some time, and it was time for
a change.  The hard drive was replaced and a fresh copy of Fedora Core 3
was loaded.  After a bit of configuration, is has been working properly for
a couple of months now.

Once again, this is a low level PC and CAN NOT have a GUI installed.
Everything needs to be done from the command line.

Now, I wish to make sure it is properly updated on a regular basis.  So I
attempted to first use yum by attempting some non-committal commands like
"yum check-update" and "yum list all".  Both produced errors similar to
those below.

On a client Windows PC, I download the latest copy of yum from the Duke Yum
website.

It was then transferred the file to the FC3 PC and installed as seen below.

The errors encountered before the update of yum remain, but have a few
different line reference numbers.

So I know that: a) yum was indeed changed, and b)I still am unable to use
it properly.

Any ideas out there of what the info below is telling me?

-------------------------------
[root@ipxx-xxx-xx-xxx tmp]# yum list all
Setting up Repos
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 7, in ?
     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 68, in main
     result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()
   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 443, in doCommands
     ypl = self.returnPkgLists()
   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 1129, in returnPkgLists
     ypl = self.doPackageLists(pkgnarrow=pkgnarrow)
   File "__init__.py", line 698, in doPackageLists
   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 84, in doRepoSetup
     self.doSackSetup()
   File "__init__.py", line 143, in doSackSetup
   File "repos.py", line 211, in populateSack
   File "mdcache.py", line 103, in getPrimary
   File "mdcache.py", line 90, in _getGeneric
   File "mdcache.py", line 62, in _unpickle
EOFError

Piperson