[Yum] Faking Out the Kernel Version

>>>>> "sv" == seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

   sv> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 12:05 -0400, Jake Colman wrote:
   >> I manually built and installed a 2.4.30 kernel.  An 'rpm -q kernel'
   >> shows kernel-2.4.7-10 since that is the last version I installed via an
   >> rpm.  How can I easily get yum to understand that I have a 2.4.30 so
   >> that I don't get screwed on kernel version dependencies?  I'm not sure
   >> how to create an rpm package from my 2.4.30 build tree so I don't think
   >> that's an option - unless someone can point me to an easy howto.
   >> Barring that, is there anything easy I can do to get around this?

   sv> Not really. Yum bases its update list on what is in the rpm db. If
   sv> you've installed something not in an rpm then yum (and rpm) have no
   sv> way of knowing where it is.

The answer, for anyone interested, is to simply do a 'make rpm' from the
kernel source.  This generates the required rpm file which can, of couurse,
be installed.  Once that's done, yum (rpm) knows which kernel version you are
running and the dependencies are resolved accordingly.

--
Jake Colman
Sr. Applications Developer