[Yum] verifying Yum updates

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 06:51:24PM -0400, Brett Hall wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to generate a log report that aggregates results on a
> LAN of machines which had updates to fail? If so, can the results be
> exported to a syslog server or email list?

You could run something like epylog. But yeah, syslog support would be nice.
I've been told that it's basically there but just needs a little work -- I
haven't had a chance to look at it, so if you want to, that'd be awesome.

> 2. Does YUM do anything to check that the update actually took place as
> intended and was completed? For example, automated patching tools check
> names, file size, registry (for Windows) etc to verify that the change
> actually took place as intended. Sometimes, for example, in Windows, the
> registry will be updated even if the file wasn?t, giving a false positive
> on the update.

This seems like a good job for a yum plug-in.

>  3. What would I see in the log if an update failed?say it crashed or was
>  turned off during the update, or was simply offline at the time.

I think currently, "nothing".

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>