[Yum] Package management strategy with yum

seth vidal wrote:
> you might want to make a yumgroups file  with groups like:
>
> foo-webserver:
> foo-appserver:
> foo-testing:
> foo-servers:
>
> bar-webserver:
> bar-appserver:
> bar-testing:
> bar-servers:
>
> webservers:
> appservers:
> all:
>
> then make sure you're scripts are only ever running a:
> yum groupupdate whichever of the above groups.
>
> then only list the packages in each of those groups that you want to
> have on those systems.

So I would have to maintain my own "intersection" groups?  By which I
mean I would have to create a seperate "foo-webservers" group rather
than just have it automatically be known because the machine is a member
of both "foo" and "webservers"?

> option number 2 - run a couple of local repos and only populate the ones
> you want.
>
> -sv

I think this would run into the same situation as above.

I'm trying to figure out where I should draw the line between relying on
yum and relying on a homegrown application to manage all this.  One
extreme would be having each machine do a yum groupupdate of two groups:
"all" and "$HOSTNAME".  Then I'd use a serverside application to manage
my groups and have it publish out (or dynamically generate) all the
$HOSTNAME yumgroups files.

Anyone been down this road before?  How'd you do it?

-jim