[Yum] yum-updateonboot

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:57:41PM +0100, mtla@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>On my laptop the same functionality appears to be performed
>>by anacron.  Have you considered it?  Any comments?
>

> An advantage of running updates on boot is that you can have it go before
> network servers start. And you can even have it automatically reboot if a
> new kernel is installed.

Exactly.  I think the rebooting for a new kernel is a nice bonus, and
having it update before the network servers start as a big security benefit.

The reason I actually wrote this script is I run a compute cluster.
Sometimes machines are off for a day or two (waiting for replacement
parts).  I also occasionally add packages to all the nodes in the
cluster.  However, once I tell the users its the software is on the
cluster, I need to make sure its on every machine, otherwise their job
may run on the wrong node and fail.  This allows me to add all the
packages I want without having to remember to immediately install them
when a machine comes back online.