[Yum] Updating only installed packages using yum

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:43:56 -0800 (PST), onlythe best
<jasteed1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> YUM is a great package manager but it looks like YUM
> updates all updates available to my system and not
> just those installed in my system.    For instance, I
> don't have gaim installed but a gaim update is
> available and will be installed (yum -y) the next time
> I run yum.   Is there a configuration setting I can
> set to make yum only update those packages that are
> installed on my system.

You have a couple of options.  One thing you could do is a

# yum list update

And then use the output of that to see which installed files are going
to be updated.  Based upon that, you can say

# yum update foo

And any updates from foo will be installed.

But I don't believe that yum works the way you think yum works.  I
think that you probably DO have gaim installed, even if you didn't
mean to install it.  If you do a "yum -y update" it will only update
software that you have installed.  If you still disagree with this,
then it's probably worth investigating futher.  If gaim is truly a
package that meets your conditions of not being installed, but yum
tries to update it, what is the output of

# rpm -qa | grep -i gaim

and

# locate gaim

If gaim doesn't meet your conditions anymore, do the same two commands
with another package that does meet your conditions.

> Some packages like gaim I know I can manually
> uninstall or individually yum upgrade each package,
> but there are some many Linux especially in FC
> applications that it's difficult to know which apps
> are required or have dependencies.

If you are trying to find what dependencies there are from a given
package, you can use

# rpm -q -R yum

And you will get all of the packages that yum provides.  A little bit
of command line trickery will allow you to reverse that information
(i.e. find which packages are dependent on a given package).

Greg