[Yum] Using yum to download updated RPMs

>My motivations for using yum are:
>a) Share yum's repositories to build the ISOs, since it's easy for me to
>maintain a yum repo for my own packages (I will do it anyways to update
>rpms in my already installed servers);
>b) Use yum's repos configuration, so that I wouldn't have to specify it
>again;
>c) This is the main one ;-) That is, to use yum's code for parsing xml's,
>checking dependencies, and downloading rpm files. It already does most
>of what I want, it's only matter of some tweaks to make it do it!
>

>I don't mean for it to be necessarily tied to the "yum" command that
>already exists, this could be implemented as a separate script that only
>would use /usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py and other objects/modules...

Look at repoclosure.py and repo-rss.py from here:
http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/misc/

they are good examples of using the yum python module. Just install yum
2.2.0 and do 'import yum' and the top part of either of those scripts.
Then you'll have all the information you could possibly ever desire.

that's the first place to start, i think.

Right now we're not really api stable but we're also not
api-intentionally-breaking in 2.2.X branch.

-sv