[Yum] yum made a mess last night

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 13:13, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 11:19 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I already have xorg-6.8.1 installed.  Which means I'd better do
>> another make install of 6.8.1, and put an additional xorg* in the
>> exclude line.
>
>If you did "make install" then yum or rpm have no way of knowing
> about it. As far as your packaging system is concerned, your xorg
> is still version 6.7, which is why it will try updating it.
>
>Any stuff you build from source will be ignored by RPM, since it has
> no knowledge of it.
>
>Regards,

I don't buy that for a minute when its been rpm'd and installed by
checkinstall.

Before yum screwed me over last night, and rpm -qa|grep xorg showed it
as 6.8.1, so it was in the rpm database correctly.  Or was it, it
says X-6.8.1-1 now, so it named it after the name of the build
directory I used.  That I can fix I think, so it should read
xorg-6.8.1.  Before the evening is over.  And maybe I've learned a
bit about checkinstall too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)