[Yum] $distribution ???

Given the header, at first, I thought this was spam, but then I saw who
it was from so I realized it likely was legit.  Then I thought it was a
way to give money to yum developers, which I thought was a great idea.
Then I realized it was really about a problem I've actually had!

On 9/28/2004 6:43 AM, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> The question I have for the list is twofold.  First, is this really
> desireable?  While yum-arch obviously doesn't care where a directory is,
> and while URL's can be as complex as one likes, wouldn't it help to have
> a "style guide" suggesting a more or less standardized layout relative
> to a (still arbitrary) toplevel path?

I don't particularly care about this part, but I think a "best practice"
is always good.  I suspect that if the default yum.conf uses a
particular style, it will be replicated.

> Second, even if the list admins are curmudgeonly mavericks who want to
> put things whereever they durn well please arr matey arr (as may well
> be:-) is there any interest in having a $distribution variable?

This very much interests me.  I auto-generate my yum.conf files, and
it's a hassle to not have the distribution available at run-time as a
substition variable.  I currently have to know whether the client I'm
generating for is Fedora or RedHat so I can generate the correct file.
If $distrubution were available, all of the files would be identical.

> Is
> there any way to consistently set it to a set of standard values that
> work for at least the primary distros that use yum?  For example,
> parsing the first line of /etc/issue would work for RH and Fedora, but
> there may a better way or a different way.

This I'm not sure of.  My work is restricted to RH and Fedora.

Eric.