[Yum] bad .hdr caching by yum 2.1

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 02:12:15PM -0500, Satish Balay wrote:
> I encountered the following with yum 2.1 on FC3T2 (with yum-2.1.3-1)
>
> - I use a local repository where I build .rpm from .src.rpm.
> - On attempting to install one such rpm with yum - I get a dependency error.
> - I fix this error in the .spec file - and rebuild the rpm [without change
>   in version number], and update the metadata
>
> - Now yum still gives the same dependency error (because its using the
>   cached .hdr file - which still has the bad depencency info)
>
> Should yum know that the .rpm file has changed - and its needs to
> redownload the .hdr file - or is it illegal to change .rpm - without
> changing the version number? (once the rpm gets into a repository)

The proper solution for this is to change the release number.  The
software hasn't change and so the version shouldn't change.  But the
rpm build is new, so the release should be updated.

Yum uses the name, epoch, version, release, and architecture (nevra)
to decide whether to download the header information.  If it didn't,
you'd be downloading ALL of the header information for every update.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619