[Yum] Distribution of packages

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 05:12:38PM -0400, Robert G. Brown alleged:
> I don't know why it has taken me so long, but it finally occurred to me
> that it would be just smashin' brilliant to use yum as a distribution
> mechanism for some GPL programs I have written and maintain and that are
> used by various groups.  After all, any website (including a personal
> one) is a potential yum repository, and it can take the guesswork out of
> the entire update process for remote users.  They can either mirror the
> mini-repository or point yum at it on their systems.

The biggest problem here is that distributing _binary_ packages from upstream
doesn't work very well.  Each distro has too many differences that prevent such
a distribution of a complex package.  The upstream source would need to
maintain their own build systems for every supported distro.

Btw, Macromedia's flash module is distributed in such a way.
http://macromedia.mplug.org/

<idlethoughts>
Imagine a set of publicly available build hosts for all distros and
archs... now imagine Debian :)

For open source software, it might be fun to have yum build src.rpms directly
from upstream.  Oh wait, that system is already called Gentoo... anyone want
to port portage to RPM?

Coming full circle, the whole idea of a "linux distribution" is to have a
_single_ set of matched packages.
</idlethoughts>

University of Southern California