[Yum] Persistent YUM error, Fedora Core 2

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 05:22, Matthew Watkins wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I've been having persistent problems with YUM package updates on one
> of our servers. It's not been retrieving updates for several weeks,
> and I become concerned about the security implications. I have
> found the solution to the problem this morning.
>
>Basically, YUM would crash immediately after invocation, regardless
> of the arguments supplied:
>
>[root@perky matt]# yum update
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 23, in ?
>     import yum
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 26,
> in ? import depsolve
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 29,
> in ? from repomd.packageSack import ListPackageSack
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/repomd/packageSack.py",
> line 17, in ?
>     import libxml2
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>     import libxml2mod
>ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
> undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed
>
>I do some digging on Google and find other users with the same
> error, but no solution. I post to the Fedora-users list, but do not
> receive a reply. Having not had time to investigate for a while, I
> return to the problem this morning.  I find the following post
> through Google:
>
>http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-21359.html
>
>The final entry in the thread suggests checking for duplicate
> libxml2 libraries. Seems like good advice:
>
>[root@perky src]# locate libxml2.so
>/usr/lib/libxml2.so
>/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2
>/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.6.8
>/usr/local/opt/brightmail/lib/libxml2.so
>/usr/local/opt/brightmail/lib/libxml2.so.2
>
>It looks like Brightmail Anti-spam has installed it's own copy of
>libxml2, which is probably why things have stopped working. This may
>seem like a trivial problem, but this will be difficult for some
> users to find and fix. An entry in the FAQ could potentially save
> users a lot of digging in search of this relatively simple
> solution!
>
>Regards,
>
>- Matt

I battled this "libxml2" problem for several months, with lots of
suggestions offered by well meaning folks but no solution, until
finally one day a gnome app (I run kde here) gave me a slightly
different error message, pointing me to /etc/pango/pango.modules,
which in fact turned out to be missing despite my forceably
reinstalling the whole libxml2 and pango kit at least a dozen times.
AFAIAC, the fscking rpms are broken!

Anyway, check to see if you have this file AND if its uptodate.
As a test, rename it so it can be recovered, and then run:

#>/usr/bin/pango-querymodules-32 >/etc/pango/pango.modules

To regenerate that file with the systems presently installed modules.

That fixed me right up.  But I still have bad dreams about those
borked rpms that don't have the above command as a 'post-install'
script.  No excuse for that lack.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)