[Yum] What are the advantages of yum over apt?

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Chris Ricker wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > > Some people have decided to put a lot of work
> > > into creating yum. There must be a reason?
> >
> > The crux of the issue is this.
> >
> > I'm a masochist.
> >
> > I like pain.
>
> If that were really true, you'd have just used apt

And because my friends and colleagues insist in joking around, I'LL
answer the poor fellow's question...

It is because they had a vision.  A vision of a simple, RPM
repository-based update mechanism, usable by the wise and the foolish
alike, that could reduce the workload of any rpm-based lan
administrator and greatly increase the utility and security of each and
every system on the lan.

It came to them in a dream one night, amidst ten thousand fluttering
butterflies that turned into rose petals and settled, leaving behind
them a delicate aroma and a fleeting, fading glimpse of an unattainable
perfection, a perfection that makes the heart ache and the soul prepare
itself for transcendence.

To realize some poor shadow of this vision they embarked on a holy quest
that involved wrestling with serpents (python), mastering daemons
(httpd), and learning far more about rpms, good and bad, yin and yang,
than mortal man was meant to know.  On this journey they have been
cheered and jeered, blamed and praised, and have seen much of the hidden
world that lies always beneath our feet and yet somehow is also joined
to the heavens.  They have become wise, and wisdom is always borne of
much pain.

This is the hidden zen message in Seth's avowal of the love of pain,
because it is only through that pain that he became wise, and only this
wisdom brings the sweetness and clarity of a transparently functioning
linux box to the desktops of both the wise and the fools alike, the
system masters of subtle intent and the humblest users with their
arthritic fingers and senseless yappings.  Yea, even the users of apt
and the heathen worshippers of the great brass idol (microsoft) can look
on in wonder at a tool that actually makes rpms function the way they
were always intended to do, and makes linux/rpm systems into a dream,
within a dream, within a dream...

   rgb