[Yum] Strange kernel package behavior with 2.1.4

Hi,

I'm running rawhide on my laptop, and experienced something somewhat
strange. I though I didn't have the latest kernel installed, so I tried to
install it before updating the rest of my system, but I in fact already had
it, but here is what happened :
- I ran "yum install kernel"
- It suggested to install the latest version, but i586...
- I checked with "yum list kernel", I had the i686 installed
- I checked with rpm -qa --qf '%{arch}\n' kernel, all i686
- I checked my yum.conf file, I even have exactarch=1 in it

So I decided to try and hoped yum would fail on the test transaction, since
both i586 and i686 versions of the same kernel can't be installed in
parallel, but...
- I let yum do what it wanted, now that I recall it may have been "u"
- The test transaction was successful, so it went on
- The output threw some unresolved symbols for some modules, notably the
x86 microcode.ko, not good...
- The resulting is that my i686 kernel was replaced by the i586
- I checked and "rpm -Va kernel" is perfectly silent

Any ideas about why yum misbehaved this way? Seems pretty naughty to me ;-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.521.dell
Load : 2.78 1.75 1.15