[Yum] yum update problem with biarch (i686/x86_64)

Hello,

I am using yum-2.0.7 and my own private repositories.

When 2 different architectures of the same package are installed, e.g.

	glibc.i686
	glibc.x86_64

yum does not appear to automatically attempt to update both versions. This
causes updates to fail because yum only wants to update the x86_64
version, which then breaks dependencies for the non-updated i686 version.

My system has installed, for instance:
	glibc-xxxxx-1.i686
	glibc-xxxxx-1.x86_64

and if I create a repository with newer versions available:
	glibc-xxxxx-2.i686
	glibc-xxxxx-2.x86_64

'check-update' only shows the x86_64 update as available:

	linux% yum check-update
	glibc			x86_64 xxxxx-2			REPONAME

It does not show the i686 update as available. Trying to actually do an
update therefore fails:

	linux% yum update
	Finding updated packages
	Downloading needed headers
	Resolving dependencies
	.....Unable to satisfy dependencies
	Package glibc needs glibc-common = xxxx-1, this is not available

(The remaining glibc-xxxxx-1.i686 package still wants the older version
of glibc-common. If yum updated the i686 and x86_64 packages
simultaneously, this problem would go away)

I took a look at the mailing list archives, and there was a suggestion to
do 'yum update glibc.i686'; however yum does not seem to understand this
command:

	linux% yum update glibc.i686
	Finding updated packages
	Downloading needed headers
	Cannot find any package matching glibc.i686 available to be updated.
	No actions to take

There is an updated i686 glibc in the repository, but yum ignores it.

'yum update glibc.x86_64' yields the same result as a plain 'yum update'
(dependency error). yum also ignores the i686 package if you tell it to
update both simultaneously:

	linux% yum update glibc.i686 glibc.x86_64
	Finding updated packages
	Downloading needed headers
	Cannot find any package matching glibc.i686 available to be updated.
	Resolving dependencies
	.....Unable to satisfy dependencies
	Package glibc needs glibc-common = xxxxx-1, this is not available.

It appears, however, that 'yum install' can work around the problem:

	linux% yum install glibc.i686
	Finding updated packages
	Downloading needed headers
	Resolving dependencies
	...Dependencies resolved
	I will do the following:
	[update: glibc xxxxx-2.i686]
	I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
	[deps: glibc-common xxxxx-2.x86_64]
	[deps: glibc xxxxx-2.x86_64]
	[deps: glibc-utils xxxxx-2.x86_64]

Note that yum figures out that the dependency for 'glibc-common' can be
fulfilled by a x86_64 package, which then in turn pulls in other x86_64
dependencies. However, if I tell it to just 'yum install' the x86_64
package, it doesn't find the i686 dependencies:

	linux% yum install glibc.x86_64
	Finding updated packages
	Downloading needed headers
	Resolving dependencies
	.....Unable to satisfy dependencies
	Package glibc needs glibc-common = xxxxx-2, this is not available.

So, I can work around this by manually running 'yum install' with a list
of all the i686 packages before I do the "real" yum run. If this is a
limitation of yum-2.0.7, that's cool. I'm just sending this email out as a
data point.

It would be nice if a plain 'yum update' automatically did the right
thing, though. I'll try to take a closer look at the code in the next week
or so and see what's going on.

Thanks,

Chris Wing
wingc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx