[Yum] Re: pkgpolicy=(newest)|first|last by repo order in .conf

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 15:08 -0400, Cymon J. Cox wrote:
> [Apologies for messing the thread - I wasn't subscribed to the list...]
>
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:52, Cymon J. Cox wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> Seeing as this has been discussed many times I'll get to the point: has
> >> anyone considered poking an ordered dictionary through to ConfigParser?
> >> Apart from touching a supposed private attribute (which I can live
> >> with), this would seem to be a simple solution...
> >>
> [and Seth Vidal replied]
> >Doesn't really work for the new config stuff that's in cvs-HEAD b/c the
> >new config supports a yum.conf.d directory of repos.
> >
> >the directory entries could be named anything and sort order for getting
> >them is whatever order the dir list is in.
> >
> >Better to sort by something the user has more control over - the repo
> >id.
>
> Of course, a directory of rep.conf's should be prioritised (-able) by a
> user defined repo-id, but isnt this a separate issue?
>
> The prioritising of repos in a single .conf is still 'newest|alphabetical
> last', when I'm sure the user expectation is that a higher priority would
> be afforded those repos listed first (or at least be an option).
> 'Alphabetical last' makes no sense from a user standpoint - apart from
> the nasty hack of prefixing the repo name with a numeral.
>
> Unless I'm missing something (and I havent read the cvs code), a
> serverlist ordered by repoconfid then by repo-stanza position would still
> make more sense to the user here than the current implementation.

Why? The current implementation is documented and fairly
straightforward. With the introduction of a repo.d dir the order in the
file becomes very muddy.

easier to have a consistent standard that is obviously applied across
all repositories.

moreover - the concept of pkgpolicy is going to be changed quite a bit I
think - sort order dictating package use is not terribly flexible and
needs to go away.

-sv