debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=0
exclude=kernel* openoffice.org*

[rh-ws3-updates]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS3 Updates
baseurl=http://xxx/yum/rh-ws3-up1/$basearch/updates

Changing the exactarch seems to make no difference.  Have updated to yum
2.0.7 as well

JJ

With YUM 2, in the yum.conf file, there is a
specification to update only the current architecture.
I imagine you can delete that line.

Check your man page for yum.conf for details.

What's in your etc/YUM.CONF file?  Can you post it
here?

Cheers,

Brian

P.S. Why would you install everything?  Doesn't that
      make you vulnerable?  Isn't it hard to keep your
      system updated?

--- J J Urich <jjurich at divms.uiowa.edu> wrote:
 > Redhat installs both an i386/i686 and x86_64
 > versions of 47 RPM's when
 > you do an install and select the "Everything"
 > option.  This appears to
 > present a problem when using yum to update patches
 > as there appears to
 > be no way to do a --nodeps rpm equivalent.  To give
 > one example of a
 > package with multiple arch'es load and patching
 > problems let's look at
 > trying to patch samba on a freshly loaded x86_64
 > machine:
 >
 > Here proof the i386 and x86_64 version are loaded:
 > # grep samba- /root/install.log
 > Installing samba-common-3.0.0-14.3E.x86_64.
 > Installing samba-client-3.0.0-14.3E.x86_64.
 > Installing samba-3.0.0-14.3E.i386.
 > Installing samba-3.0.0-14.3E.x86_64.
 > Installing redhat-config-samba-1.0.16-1.noarch.
 >
 > Here's what happens when I patch by hand w/ RPM (get
 > the same dependency
 > error when using yum):
 >
 > # ls
 > samba-3.0.2-6.3E.i386.rpm
 > samba-client-3.0.2-6.3E.i386.rpm
 > samba-common-3.0.2-6.3E.i386.rpm
 > samba-3.0.2-6.3E.x86_64.rpm
 > samba-client-3.0.2-6.3E.x86_64.rpm
 > samba-common-3.0.2-6.3E.x86_64.rpm
 >
 > [root at dpmlh090 patches]# rpm -Fvh `ls`
 > error: Failed dependencies:
 >          libreadline.so.4 is needed by
 > samba-client-3.0.2-6.3E
 >
 > The readline installed is the 64 bit version not the
 > 32, so when you try
 > and patch the i386 version of sambe you've got
 > problems...  I opened a
 > ticket on this w/ redhat and they said for patching
 > to work I have to
 > specify both the i386 and x86_64 version as shown
 > above and patch with
 > the --nodeps option for the packages that multiple
 > arch's are loaded
 > for.  Up2date handles this and patches correctly.
 > Has any one else run
 > into this and found a work around with yum or am I
 > missing something???
 >
 > Thanks in advance...
 >
 > JJ
JJ Urich
CSG Director

The University of Iowa
Phone 319-335-0750
Email: jjurich at divms dot uiowa dot edu