[Yum] Performance enhancement: [was yum performance]

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 00:30 -0400, Joseph Tate wrote:
> Here's my idea.  If you've already thought of this and rejected it, I'd
> love to know why.
>
> 1.  Switch yum to use -C by default, introduce a different flag to
> signal an update to the cache.  Thus day to day operations can be done
> with a pregenerated hash and a prebuilt cache.
>
> 2.  Build a serializeable hash structure, or utilize an existing
> mechanism.  I don't care if it's stored in XML or db4 or just a plain
> text file, but make it fast to read in and write out.  Just this will
> make N fopen, fread, fclose calls to 1 set.  Won't do much for memory
> usage though.

well that's what the new metadata _IS_.

it's xml - the read in takes longer than I'd like - but it's very
consistent.

I think the way to make this a lot faster for cached operation is
something ryan already did.

At the end of a successful import of the data, write out a cPickle
object of the data set and leave it. for cached operations read it in
and use it.

> 3.  Change the yum cron job to use the new -!C flag so that that hash
> index gets generated nightly.

not everyone uses the cron job, though.

> As I don't think this would be too difficult, I'll try generating some
> patches against HEAD, though as a non-Python programmer it may look a
> little Perl-ish.

good luck - perl-ish python is not very possible, though. :)

-sv